Thursday, March 5, 2009

Being an Example- Lisa


Last night, we were at Lisa's YW New Beginnings activity called, "Miss Latter-day Saint" to welcome in two new girls. This year's theme is about being an example to others. They acted like pageant contestants representing the different values in different colors. They even changed to dresses! It was so fun and hilarious seeing the girls be total hams while trying to look sophisticated! :-)

It was also great how all the other girls nominated Lisa to be Miss Knowledge and asked her to show up in her GREEN Academic Decathlon T-shirt. It is also funny to me how they nominated her Miss Knowledge. My daughter is a smart cookie no doubt, but there are a lot she can learn about herself; 90% of her day is spent in school. Sometimes in all that pile of homework, Mutual doesn't get included in the priorities of the week which our bishop lovingly reminded us parents that our daughters need to build their testimonies on.

Back to the "being an example" bit. Lisa is a great example of sticking to her academic and moral guns. She has a rainbow of friends because she tries to relate to most people without sacrificing her religious beliefs. I just love that about her. Is she perfect at it? No, (who is) but the fact that she tries is more than half the battle.

We love her personal rule of "NO CHEATING" it doesn't matter if it was a friend or an acquaintance that asked. She doesn't want cheating associated with her name, so she's quick to let her friends know that she'll help them understand the lesson but not give them the answers. Lisa has friends that are cheerleaders, band members, emo, dancers, athletes, other eggheads and those of other "in" crowds at school. It amazes me to no end, because I was a wall flower myself but I love that she can easily make friends and that she earns respect her way...

Being an example, it's a personal choice... And Lisa, is a great example of academic integrity, modesty and being a friend. So, in our eyes, she is "MISS LATTER-DAY SAINT"...

5 comments:

Lara Neves said...

Lisa is such a wonderful girl! Congrats on being Miss Knowledge...I can definitely see that!

Hansonpatch said...

I am definitely a card carrying member of the Lisa cheer squad! She is so sweet, so smart, so beautiful, and the best Wednesday ever for halloween! Yeah for Lisa, and LOVE THAT DRESS! Wish it would fit me!

Chandy said...

Lara: Thank you; she'd love to "read" that about her.

Anne: I'm glad to have a reunion for this cheer squad. I agree with the Wednesday costume! I chose that dress, so I feel good, too!

Eldredge Family said...

She has grown into such a beauty inside and out! I think she looks adorable!

Chandy said...

Crystal, I so agree! Thank you!