Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Love, Love FreeCycle!

... and love Heather for convincing me to join!

If you've never heard of FreeCycle before, it is basically a swapping forum for things you no longer use and want for the moment. And, just like the name, it is all free! Leary of strangers stopping by your home, no problem? Leave it on the porch!

So why do I love it even though I've only been a member for a few weeks? Because...

-I asked for a cake stand and got a response within hours, and picked it up the next day

-I responded to "Wanted: Curtains" so I get rid of my excess, haven't used drapery without spending any gas or looking for the local Goodwill drop-off place.

-I found out that people have a real need for those mini sewing baskets I've only used to hold Charlie and I's love letters. (Getting rid of them because of our small space and no real use.)

It is done by city and they use specific lingo (Wanted, Offer, Taken, Received and porch pick-up)so you don't have to stray far to make someone's day.

My kids really loved the cake stand. It's actually becoming a source of curiosity and real excitement; even pow-wows over how to make our next family Valentine more memorable.

Like I said, love, love FreeCycle!

Ok, I'm off to dust two mini sewing baskets and wash "been in the trunk so it smells like it" drapes!

2 comments:

Lara Neves said...

Carla was really into it in AZ, but I've tried here where I lived and there just isn't a good group going. Oh well...I'm glad you're having fun with it!

Chandy said...

Carrollton has a good group; people are quick to respond and offer. I hope it holds it momentum until I can get rid of most of my "once loved" items, lol!