Saturday, December 19, 2009

Hard, Soft and Oh So Cute!

December 18- We baked the chocolate chip cookies that we ordered from L's pizza kit fundraising. Epic Fail on the "Little Caesar's Chocolate Chip Cookies". We followed their directions, but the whole batch came out rock HARD! Graduated to ice cream topping-- my kiddos' idea.

Highlight of the night was talking to the grands on the phone over their generous family gifts of hot cocoa and cute ornaments. Wow!

The story was "Grandma's Christmas Gifts"... It's about a generous grandma who went out of her way to gift two neighborhood kids the sleds they wanted for Christmas.

So... instead of the failed petrified cookies, you get to meet the very cute duo of our home; Mr. Man and I-Dude, with our diva cat, Cece. Love them!


For most of the day, we were out shopping- not for gifts, but rather for our Filipino traditional feast. And since we are having our Christmas dinner on Christmas Day instead of Eve, I again have that extra day to plan out the whole scrumptious menu. I was so homesick after seeing all of the ingredients and foods that I grew up with. *sighing deeply*

Tonight, it's a batch of Rugelach; a SOFT pastry treat that I got from Food Network, compliments of Ina Garten. But since I didn't have any preserves or dried fruits, I made a creamy chocolate filling instead! Heavenly!

The filling is blended cream cheese, cool whip, brown sugar, cinnamon, chocolate chunks (Hershey's Dark) and chopped walnuts (except I-Dude's- allergies). I used the Pillsbury Crescent Rolls and baked for 8-10 minutes on 350F. I cooled it for 3 minutes then arranged on a platter before a generous sprinkling of chopped milk chocolate (Hershey's bar).

I waited to serve it after listening to "Angels We Have Heard on High" off the church website, LDS dot org. Each crescent was still slightly warm and the chocolate pieces slightly melted on top, making it doubly delicious!

Enjoy your Sabbath!

10 comments:

Hansonpatch said...

That sounds better the way that you prepared it than Ina did. I used to make her Raspberry thumbprint cookies for one of the office staff at her elementary school who loved them. Everyone else got an assortment. She likes using preserves.

Melissa said...

mmm, yum!!

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Those look absolutely delicious!
Oh, the dessert looks good too. Cute boys!

Nikia, May and da kids said...

With ALL your baking talents, why in the heck are you doing "purchased" baked goods?? That's a no no. Next time, support the cause and donate the fake stuff to someone in the neighborhood. I would count it as a service project = )

You have made to many delectable treats right before Christmas to be messing it up now. Do NOT cheat on your cookie sheets like that anymore ; P

May

Laura Lynn said...

Sounds like fun and your pastry sounds and looks delish!
I'll be back to check out more of your blog!

Chandy said...

Thanks, Ann! I thought so, too!

Chandy said...

Melissa, I second that yum!

Chandy said...

Tauna, thank you, I think they're rather cute, too!

Chandy said...

May, I know I am so ashamed. LOL

Chandy said...

Laura Lynn, thank you and welcome to my blog!