Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Taco Beef Soup- My Way


Back in July, when we were up visiting family in Utah, my sis-in-law, Kate was nice enough to give me a copy of her favorite Taco Beef Soup recipe and I've meant to make it since then, but life had other things in mind for me, until yesterday when I couldn't take it anymore and I just had to have some! Of course, Murphy's law of "when you really need it, that's when you can't find it" turns me to an aversive chef. But then again, I'm not a recipe follower so I put this soup together to the best of my ability and miraculously enough, it was really good! Here's the recipe if you want to try it for yourself.

Carolyn's Take on Taco Beef Soup

1-2 lbs. lean ground beef (73-80% is best, so it doesn't dry out)
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 1/2 tbsp. garlic salt (less if you prefer)
1 tbsp. black pepper
3 bay leaves
1 medium onion, minced or 2 tbsp. dry flakes
2 cans of kidney beans
1 cup of Jasmine rice
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 cup parsley or oregano
1/4 cup chives
Juice of 1 big lime
2 packets of mild Taco mix
8 cups of hot water or low sodium beef broth
Tortilla chips, crushed as topper and grated mexican blend cheese

Season meat with half portions of the taco mix (1 packet), black pepper, garlic salt, paprika and cinnamon. Marinate for 15 minutes.
Heat olive oil on med high then add in onions. Add in the meat and saute until no longer pink. Drain most of the oil, but not all.
bring heat back up to medium, add in the bay leaves, rice, beans, and herbs. Mix well.
Add in the other taco mix, water or broth, and simmer for 30 minutes on med low.
Blend in lime juice and serve hot with chips and cheese on top.

Very hearty, healthy and so, so good!

No comments: