Sunday, November 13, 2011

Cooking and Saving

I miss my kitchen... Though the drywall is almost all up on the backwall, the counters are still full of tools and between the kids getting sick and me, too, plus busy schedule, it's still a mess. I've only managed to catalog some of the few great meals I've been doing for the kids' cookbooks (someday). But at least I captured some and they are delicious, nutritious and economical!

Been using One Note to store my recipes (totally not a recipe person), and we're all learning to rely on it to choose and plan our dinner menu for the week. But I'm also into seasonal produce, so until I have it all down, the recorded recipes are not that reliable yet. Here are some of the great ones I have yet to include:

I call this one, Green Steak over Linguine. It's got mainly green ingredients-broccolini, spinach, parsley, basil and little leftover steak. Total cost, under $5.00!
Pan-fried Tilapia fillets. Just S&P and a hot skillet/pan and 4 minutes later, "viola!" Total cost, $4 for 8 fillets!
 I love my Autumn soup, Sweet Leeky Squash Mash; it's hearty nutritious and completely vegetarian. The creamy base, coconut cream! Sweet potatoes, Winter squash, leeks, and spices. Yummy! Topped with Roasted Pumpkin seeds! Filled a 5-cup Rubbermaid container! Total cost, $3.50!
 Steamed Artichokes! Hubby found them at Krogers for 10/$10! Yep, only $1 each!
 Berry Veggie Medley Smoothie, my whole family loves it! Healthy and oh-so cheap! (Blueberries, Blackberries, Strawberries, Spinach, Carrots, Yogurt and OJ) Total cost for the whole pitcher, less than $2.00!
Haven't been doing any tablescapes since back in 4th of July... I'm so sad...

I've been busy researching a healthier approach to eating. So much information available, it's amazing! But, the pattern seems to point at the obvious... Clean food means clean body!

Til next time!

No comments: